Chinatown: A Photoshop Endeavor

Photo on left is from clipart.com. Photo on right by Michael Spencer.
The other day I wrote a little tidbit for my personal blog and needed a photo to go with it. It had been awhile since I'd played in Photoshop so I decided to flex my Photoshop fingers and whip up a composite to accompany my prose. I'm a little rusty, but it was mostly fun and turned out almost as I envisioned it.

I used the two (royalty free, cc licensed) color photos above to make the photo at top along with a bunch of filters and The Pioneer Woman's actions. (You can get them for free here.) The action I used was the b&w and then I added several extra quick edge burn layers. I used Photoshop's patch tool to get rid of the two girls in the Chinatown photo and then cut out the couple, pasted them in their place and dropped a bunch of textures on them to mae them seem almost ghostly. I also used the paint brush to dollop circles of "light" in some of the hanging lanterns and then gaussian blur and glowing edges to soften them into a glow. I wanted a moody, ethereal feel, and I think I mostly accomplished that. I can see some areas that could use a little more work, but for something done between rocking a baby, I'll take it!

3 comments:

  1. I am such a newbie in photoshop and would have loved to see a step-by-step tutorial for this. Love your end result. I'll try to find something online. Have a nice Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is nice but you need to fix its template. Comments are not visible because their colour is white. Secondly, try to keep the template width no more than 1000 px because many people are still using 4:3 monitors. You can fix both color and width through template designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talal,

    Thanks so much for your comments! I was wondering what was going on with my comments. As for the template size, I'll consider it, but I made it this size for a reason. What would be nice is if the size would be dynamic based on a person's screen size. But alas, my skills are limited.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails