The Museum of Broken Relationships

"He said: Darling, I love you. I’ll never stop loving you. You are my life. I answered: Me too, dear. When we entered the room, I opened my gift and saw the little glass horse."

"The divorce day garden dwarf"

"He survived on top of my closet in a plastic bag, because it wasn’t him who hurt me, but the idiot who left him behind."

In a dusty box tucked in the far reaches of our rec room lies a dusty leather box filled with mementos of my relationships past. Most of us probably have a box like this lying somewhere about the house.The Museum of Broken Relationships grew out of that concept. From the site:

"Unlike ‘destructive’ self-help instructions for recovery from failed loves, the Museum offers a chance to overcome an emotional collapse through creation: by contributing to the Museum's collection. Whatever the motivation for donating personal belongings – be it sheer exhibitionism, therapeutic relief, or simple curiosity – people embraced the idea of exhibiting their love legacy as a sort of a ritual, a solemn ceremony.  Our societies oblige us with our marriages, funerals, and even graduation farewells, but deny us any formal recognition of the demise of a relationship, despite its strong emotional effect."

The museum has toured internationally and is currently in London through September 4th.

Do you guys have any amusing relationship mementos? I've got an "I'm-Pretty-Sure-Ring" in an old jewelry box. As it turns out, neither of us was remotely close to pretty sure. ;)

via



1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic and fascinating idea. I'd love to see this exhibition, and am disappointed I'll miss it in London by just a couple of weeks. I understand this exactly. Sometimes, the objects are too lovely to toss away but to powerful a reminder of the past to enjoy. To make them part of a collective story is the perfect place for them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails