Free CD template and playlist suggestions



One of my favorite parts of my wedding guest's gift bags (more on those later) was a CD with some songs that were either special or super awesome to me and my hub. I used the bird and flowers illustration I created on the CD face. I left the back and front blank so you guys can write in (or Photoshop in) a playlist and mix title. Simply download or right click (control click on Macs) the template jgeg above. Print it out on cardstock and cut out. Fold the flaps down first, then fold the whole thing in half and glue the flaps to the back side of the CD and let dry. It'll look great with a blank, crisp white CD.

I spend so much time at my computer and music always keeps me going. Each month, I always seem to listen to a selected set of songs on heavy rotation. I usually discover these by listening to Minneapolis' MPR, The Current, one of the most awesome stations ever.

So without further ado, here are my music selections for this month (I combined some past favorites for this first list)*:

Brandi Carlile "Dreams" --very kicky and upbeat
Birds of Virginia "Drink Yourself to Even"--very fall-ish. Unfortunately, I can't find them anywhere but Myspace. Boo.
The Polyphonic Spree "Hold Me Now"-- upbeat and fun
Fleet Foxes "Mykonos"--I first heard this on SNL and it stopped me and my husband in our tracks. We sat there and listened, mesmerized.
The Doves "Kingdom of Rust" --epic, beautiful and haunting. "Jetstream" and "Winter Hill" are awesome, too. Heck, buy the whole Kingdom of Rust album if you like these songs.
Massive Attack "Teardrop"--an oldie but goodie. Yes, the theme from House.
Bon Iver "Bloodbank" --makes me think of cold air and wet leaves.
Idle Hands "Secretary" --damn catchy
Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire" --see above
Cat Power "Babydoll" --another one of those slow, lilting, haunting songs I love.
The Avett Brothers "I and Love and You" --mellow and pretty
Old Crow Medicine Show "Down Home Girl" --I have yet to hear a bad song by this awesome band.
Sondre Lerche "Modern Nature" --peppy, preppy and retro-ish
Rachel Yamagata "Duet"
Gomez "Win Park Slope"
Grant Lee Buffalo "Mockingbirds"

Okay, I'll stop there. Let me know if you guys like this playlist and CD case. If so, I might try to do something similar each month.

*I love downloading from Amazon because you don't have the restrictions you do on iTunes and amazon is often a bit cheaper. If you link over to the songs, from this post, click on the arrow to the left of the song listing to listen to the song.

25 comments:

  1. Well, I LOVE it! And I really like, "Babydoll" and "Duet" and "Mockingbirds" and of course, "Modern Nature". Oh, and "Mykonos"! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ALWAYS looking for new music. I'll check out these songs, thank you! And I love the CD case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just stumbled across your blog from oh so beautiful paper and i must say, i am sure glad i did! the cd case is adorable and i will for sure be using it. also, we have the same taste in music. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also stumbled across your blog from oh so beautiful paper. The CD case is absolutely beautiful! I love the colors, patterns, and total design! :) (And your music list is fabulous as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it too! i would definitely be interested in seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming from Oh So Beautiful Paper... love this cd template! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are really beautiful - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, we have pretty similar taste in music -- I'd love to see future playlists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! This is fantastic, thanks so much! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so great - we share tastes in music...I'll definitely check back in to see if you do another. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so much for your kind words and the links. With all the wonderful feedback, I anticipate continuing this project with a new playlist and new CD template to post in mid-December (I'm working on the design right now and I think you all will just love it). It might make a perfect DIY stocking stuffer for a friend or loved one, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made my day! Thanks for all the great songs to my theme and my taste (and OH MY how sweet that template is)... Very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the CD case and would love to see more! thanks so much for sharing it and the music--so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe I found your blog. I literally was just telling my fiance that we should do a CD like this with "good" music for our guests to broaden their musical horizons. The template for the CD cover totally matches our 2-birds theme and I LOVE the current and all of the songs on your playlist. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm way, way late to this post (because i just found your blog today), but i just wanted to comment & tell you how much i love it. the case is super cute & your song recommendations are right on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so new at printing, and photoshop....I'll like to do a similar pattern for our wedding favors, but don't know what software or printer to use to print both the CD Sleeve, and the sticker for the CD itself, can you guide me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura,

    I just used a plain old desktop HP 309 printer and label paper from Office Depot.

    The design/layout was created from scratch in Illustrator.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is fab!!!
    do you have a template for the cd label?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This template is amazing! You are such a talent :) What size paper would you recommend for printing this? x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The songlist was awesome!!! I really hope you do this more often!! Wow!! What a cool set! (oh, and the template is cool, too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been saving this post for TWO YEARS - long before I was engaged and I am so excited to finally be using this printable :) I fell in love with it when you posted it and knew it would set the tone for the decor at my wedding. Thank you SO much for posting this - I am having a ball using it and it will look so awesome for our favors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you have the template for the actual disc? I like this very much and may use it for my wedding favors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails